Steve Chybowski joins OER as a Chief of Program Development

Steve Chybowski joined OER in December 2021 as chief of program development, with a focus on energy efficiency, buildings optimization and decarbonization. We are delighted to have him on our team and asked him to introduce himself to our readers.

Tell us about your background.

I completed my undergraduate studies at Michigan State University and my graduate studies at Indiana University. After college, I worked with the City of Fishers, Indiana where I led the City’s sustainability efforts and developed the community’s first greenhouse gas emissions inventories. Then, I worked with Indiana University’s Environmental Resilience Institute where I provided education and training to local government staff throughout the state of Indiana on energy efficiency and renewable energy opportunities. In 2021, I moved to Rhode Island and joined OER where I now lead its energy efficiency programming.

What led you to work at OER? 

 

I chose to work at OER because I want to make the world and my community a better place for future generations, and I believe that public service and the public sector gives me the opportunity to do so. OER is a national leader on energy policy and I’m proud to be a part of this team. 

 

What do you see as the biggest challenge for Rhode Island in adopting clean energy? 

 

There are a lot of exciting developments happening in the clean energy space and it is our goal to make sure that everyone has the most up-to-date and accurate information available to them. By keeping Rhode Islanders informed about the options available to them for energy efficiency and renewable energy, we can ensure that each resident, business, and Rhode Island energy customer is making the best choice for meeting their individual needs.

 

Hometown: Flint, MI 

Favorite Food: I love all foods and am open to trying anything!  

Favorite hobby and/or sport: Playing guitar and soccer, and I enjoy watching Michigan State football and basketball 

Ideal Vacation: Anywhere with a warm beach and soft sand  

Personal hero: My grandparents 

Favorite music: Indie and alternative rock 

Favorite movie: Pixar’s Coco  

A cause or charity that’s important to me: Putting an end to climate change and all the great organizations working in the environmental space