OER is Hiring! Communications Assistant – Part Time
Communications Assistant – Part Time – R.I. Office of Energy Resources
Title: Communications Assistant
Agency: Rhode Island Office of Energy Resources
Location: One Capitol Hill, Providence, RI. (May work remotely, but attendance required at all video productions)
Hourly requirement: 25 hours per week, Monday through Friday
Duration: 6 months with potential for extension
General Statement of Duties: To be responsible for supporting OER’s communications program to educate and inform the public about clean energy policies and programs via press releases, newsletters, blogs, social media and video.
Supervision: Day-to-day supervision provided by OER’s Chief Public Affairs Officer.
Illustrative Examples of Work Performed
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft press releases.
- Write blog articles.
- Create electronic newsletters and announcements using Constant Contact.
- Post to social media.
- Monitor the web for media coverage.
- Conduct online research.
- Coordinate and edit annual reports.
- Schedule interviews and manage office video production calendar.
- Travel to and from video shooting locations throughout the state and surrounding area with team.
- Assist with the set up and break down of a video lights and other equipment (training will be provided).
- Draft video interview questions.
- Conduct video interviews (interviewer will not be on camera).
- Take photos.
- Other communications tasks as needed.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent is required; college degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to write English clearly and concisely.
- Proficiency in Windows 10, Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Able to travel to locations throughout the state and surrounding area.
We are seeking a positive, team-oriented professional who brings a “can-do” attitude to the position and a willingness to learn. Training and instruction will be provided. However, the successful candidate must demonstrate:
- excellent communication skills;
- the ability to follow instructions and complete assigned tasks on deadline;
- how to conduct oneself in a professional manner in person, by written communication and over the phone; and
- be a naturally organized person, who is able to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Knowledge of clean energy and/or climate change-related policies and programs a plus.
How to Apply
Submit your resume, cover letter and work samples to Robert Beadle at email@example.com. In your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- What personal strengths, qualities and skills to you bring to the position? Why do you think you would be a good fit?
- What interests you about working within this industry?
- What is your approach to handling a challenging task, one in which you may not already know the answer or solution?
- What questions do you have about the position?
Submit three or more samples of your work, including:
- a press release
- an article or blog post
- an example of visual content you have created. This may include a social media campaign or content such as a photo, video, infographic, etc., or a webpage you have created.
About the R.I. Office of Energy Resources
The Rhode Island Office of Energy Resources’ (OER) mission is to lead the state toward a clean, affordable, reliable, and equitable energy future. OER develops policies and programs that respond to the state's evolving energy needs, while advancing environmental sustainability, energy security, and a vibrant clean energy economy. OER is committed to working with public- and private-sector stakeholders to ensure that all Rhode Islanders have access to cost-effective, resilient, and sustainable energy solutions. For more information, please visit www.energy.ri.gov.