Abbie Hasenfus joins OER as programming services officer

Abbie Hasenfus joined OER in February 2022 as programming services officer. We are delighted to have her on our team and asked her to introduce herself to our readers.

Please share with us your information about your background.

In 2019, I joined URI’s Energy Fellowship program and was placed at OER, where I worked specifically on outreach work for the Farm Energy Program. I graduated from URI in 2020 with a BS in Environmental and Natural Resource Economics (ENRE), a Minor in Marine affairs, and a certificate in Energy Economics and Policy. I returned to URI during the pandemic to complete a master’s in Environmental Economics. My research pertained to energy justice through grid modernization, specifically studying how peaker power plants influence the socioeconomic characteristics of their surrounding neighborhoods.

Describe what led you to work at OER?

I was always passionate about climate change but never knew how to make a career of it. Who knew it would be at the intersection of public service and clean energy? After graduating with my bachelor’s, I held a few marketing positions in the private sector. I always thought I would prefer working in the private sector, but the positions I held made me realize how much I enjoyed my internship at OER, and how much I would enjoy coming back to work full time. I’m very glad I did! 
 
What do you see as the biggest opportunity for Rhode Island in adopting clean energy?

From a policy and programmatic standpoint, Rhode Island is really helping to light the way for other states in terms of clean energy adoption, grid modernization, and energy efficiency. I think one of the biggest opportunities for us to expand upon is incorporating LMI components into our programs. Our mission at OER is to lead our state towards a clean, affordable, reliable and equitable energy future, and I hope to help expand on the equitable component of our programs and advocate for energy justice!

Name: Abbie Hasenfus
Job Title: Programming Services Officer 
Hometown: Los Angeles 
Favorite Food: I love Mexican food, Thai food, and a good home-made mac n cheese!  
Favorite hobby and/or sport: Playing piano and spending time with friends 
Ideal Vacation: My hometown
A cause or charity that’s important to me: I am very passionate about environmental justice and energy equity!